Friday, March 20, 2015

Book reflections - My favorites for an African-American toddler

As Cricket joined our home, I gradually added to our library with more books that don't just include people with dark skin as a part of a diversity message (maybe I'll do a separate post on those), but feature them as main characters or families.  I thought I'd share a few that I've been very pleased with and that Cricket has enjoyed as a 2- or 3-year-old.


Image result for snowy day ezra jack keats


We already owned The Snowy Day, but she has really enjoyed it (likely because she's been here over the winter and our winters are SNOWY).  It is just a lovely simple story of wonder about snow.


Image result for he's got the whole world in his hands amazon


This was a Christmas present to Cricket after I caught her singing the song to herself a few times.  The artwork is absolutely gorgeous, featuring an African-American family doing activities together.  It also connects globally and multiculturally at some points.  She likes to switch between telling me to read it and telling me to sing it.


Image result for whose knees are these


Just a simple little book saying cute things about a kid's knees.  I find it nice and short to read on those days that we just need a quick way to connect, and she can see a body like hers talked about in a positive way.  She loves if I tickle her knees at the end of the book and say they belong to Cricket.


What are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment